Baptism of Jesus
- We transition today with a feast that both closes the Season of Christmas, and launches us into the new season of the year
- In the Baptism, all of the Gospel accounts agree that this was the moment when the adult Jesus begins his public ministry.
- Jesus spent the first 90% of his life growing in wisdom & love
⇒ The readings focus on the tender compassion of God. “You are my Son, the One I love; my heart delights in you.”
- Jesus knew intimately the tender love of the Father.
- This situation is unique – but he opens the way for our own experience of God’s tender love, because we each have the capacity for love, and for God.
- We also need to be baptised with fire from the holy Spirit.
- We have impurities in our lives that need to be burned away. Our desire is for our hearts to be aflame with pure love.
- God desires to bring salvation to all people. Like Simeon we need to embrace Jesus and celebrate that at last salvation is now available for everyone.
- We must embrace Jesus and allow God to embrace us through him.
- Be zealous in doing good deeds. What is our source for good deeds? God, not us!
Isaiah 40:1-5.9-11; Titus 2:11-14; 3:4-7; Luke 3:15-16, 21-22